VOORTREKKERHOOGTE 90 JAAR OUD
Following the occupation of Pretoria on 5 June 1900 during the Anglo-Boer War an area south of Pretoria became known as Roberts Heights. It was named after Field-Marshal Lord Roberts, Commander-in-Chief of the British forces in South Africa. On 26 May 1939 it was re-named Voortrekkerhoogte following the laying of the foundation stone of the Voortrekker monument.
Voortrekkerhoogte reflects its military heritage to this day as is evident from its many fine historic buildings illustrated in the accompanying article.
Copyright (c) 2018 Sophia Du Preez
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.