DIE MIDDELANDSE REGIMENT
AbstractEstablished in 1934 as an infantry unit with its headquarters at Cradock the writer traces the background to this event and the early years of its existence before the outbreak of the Second World War. In June 1941, after a period of intensive training in the Union as a machine-gun battalion, the unit, departed for Egypt. In the North African campaign various of its companies saw action at Bardia, Sollum, Halfaya, Tobruk and EI Alamein. After the war the regiment was re-established as an armoured-car reconnaissance unit. The writer traces its further development with its change of name in 1954 to the 'Gideon Scheepers Regiment' and in 1960 to the 'Great Karoo Regiment' and a change of function to that of armoured infantry regiment.
Copyright (c) 2018 G.E. Dokumentasiediens, SAW
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors, copyright holders, may use the publishers version for teaching purposes, in books, theses, dissertations, conferences and conference papers.
A copy of the authors' publishers version may also be hosted on the following websites:
- Non-commercial personal homepage or blog.
- Institutional webpage.
- Authors Institutional Repository.
The following notice should accompany such a posting on the website: This is an electronic version of an article published in Scientia Militaria, Volume XXX, number XXX, pages XXX - XXX, DOI. Authors should also supply a hyperlink to the original paper or indicate where the original paper (http://scientiamilitaria.journals.ac.za) may be found.
Authors publishers version, affiliated with the Stellenbosch University will be automatically deposited in the University's Institutional Repository SUNScholar.
Articles as a whole, may not be re-published with another journal.
The following license applies: