FORT NAMUTONI: FROM MILITARY STRONGHOLD TO TOURIST CAMP

  • Jan Ploeger
Keywords: Fort Namutoni, last White outpost, Etosha Pan, first White travellers, Francis Galton (1822-1911) and Charles Andersson (1828-1867), South-West Africa

Abstract

"... this fortress was not just a white elephant, it was actually occupied and played a major role in the settlement of Germans in the far North." (own translation) - D.W. Krynauw Die Verhaal van Namutoni, p 3. Introduction Fort Namutoni, the last White outpost east of the familiar Etosha Pan, has seen a long and varied history. Namutoni was initially referred to as a swampy fountain covered with reeds. This was in the year 1851 when the first White travellers Francis Galton (1822-1911) and Charles Andersson (1828-1867) reached this part of South-West Africa on their way to Ondangua.

Author Biography

Jan Ploeger
Retired
Published
2012-02-22
How to Cite
Ploeger, J. (2012). FORT NAMUTONI: FROM MILITARY STRONGHOLD TO TOURIST CAMP. Scientia Militaria - South African Journal of Military Studies, 19(2). https://doi.org/10.5787/19-2-384
Section
Articles